Wheels need routine maintenance and adjustment to ensure that tyres last. Wheel balancing should be checked regularly, not just when you feel a vibration.You need to cross rotate and balance the wheels every 10 000 kilometers.
If wheels are out of balance the following problems occur:
- A vibration that is uncomfortable to drive with causing driver fatigue.
- A negative affect on the handling of the vehicle making it unsafe.
- Severe stresses and strains are placed on the wheel bearings and suspension components.
- Steering components can also be damaged and all the parts may fail prematurely in extreme cases.
- Premature wearing of suspension and steering components, rotating parts and tyres.
- Increased need for additional energy and increased fuel consumption.
- Ignoring the symptoms can be dangerous and expensive.
Always have your balancing checked when:
- You feel a vibration in the steering wheel at certain highway speeds.
- You feel a Vibration in the seat or floorboard at certain highway speeds.
- You notice scalloped or cupped wear pattern on the tires.
- You have been driving on rough off-road conditions, especially at reduced tyre pressures.
- You fitting new tyres or rotating your tyres.